Somewhere In Between

Monday, September 26, 2005

I Am a Flourishing Stump

Yesterday was a pretty cool day. It seems like God is so near lately. I am being blessed in such incredible ways. He is so good!

I went to church at Eastern Hills yesterday morning. Pastor Shawn is doing a series on connecting with Jesus. Yesterday's message was from John 15, "The Vine and the Branches." This passage talks about God being the "Father-Gardener" and God's people as being the "Branches." I have been reminded that God knows just what each of us needs. He also knows exactly the ways that we need to be pruned and refined. He cuts off the branches in us that bear no fruit, and prunes the branches that are fruitful so they can produce even more fruit (vs. 2).

I feel like a stump. This past year has been a season of pruning for me. I've learned so much. I've been brought through many of the toughest trials of my life. I've faced things I never thought I'd have to face, watched others go through pain and hurt, and felt quite helpless in the process. But through it all, I've been so joyful. I've had the stupidest grin on my face and I never really quite understood why. Now I know that it was because God is producing fruit within me. Everything I go through happens for a greater purpose, greater than even I can understand. I may never come to realize why everything happened the way it did. But I can be thankful because the Heavenly Father delights in me enough to give me the care that only the Father-Gardener can give.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning the shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." (Hebrews 12:1-3)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home