Somewhere In Between

Monday, August 08, 2005

DON'T DRINK THE WATER IN MEXICO

I returned from Mexico late Saturday evening with my church group. The trip was two days of driving and two days of work. It was warm, but our team was awesome. There were sixteen of us ranging in age from 23-35. We went down to build two houses for needy families, but God provided us with the energy to build three. I am still processing everything I saw there. It can be so easy to be an American. I felt like a spoiled, rich brat on most of the trip. It made me realize that God has blessed me so much. I didn't deserve to be born in America when 75% of the world lives in similar conditions to what I saw there. I never have to worry about having enough food to eat, or enough clothes to wear, or simply being able to see another day. Yet sometimes I am so ungrateful and take everything for granted. It was a blessing to interact with people who depended on God for EVERYTHING. I've learned a little bit about what that is about this past year, but God still has some rearranging to do in my heart and life.

It is hard to be at my desk at school. I have had two months to relax and recupperate from last year...and I am still so tired and weary. I have a huge task ahead of me (and I don't just mean making bulletin boards and arranging desks). I know why I am here now, but the battle can be so intense. Will I have enough to give?

Marty told me the other day that I have the gift of encouragement. That was an eye-opening remark. Could this be a gift that I possess without realizing it? And, if so, am I using that gift in a way that I should? There's a little food for thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home