Somewhere In Between

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Exhaustion

I am exhausted. Really tired today. Big headache. But overall, still a good day.

SEW has continued to go well. I had an awesome conversation with my 4th graders yesterday about the truth, how God's word is the truth, but also how knowing truth is more than that. I told my students to go home and watch tv for at least fifteen minutes and write down the lies that they saw. I want my students to see that God's truth is the only absolute truth, and that sometimes we listen to lies without even realizing it. I'm sure a few of the parents are questioning the point of this assignment. However, I think the earlier kids learn to see the Bible as the glasses of truth, the better they can be a witness for Christ.

We also talked about being a tree and the fruit of the spirit that goes along with the breastplate of righteousness. I told them that we all have strengths and weaknesses when it comes to these fruits. I told them to think about their strengths and weaknesses and how they could grow and improve on them. Then they asked me what I thought their strengths and weaknesses were. That really put me on the spot. But they have something right that adults often fail to remember. And that is that we need to encourage the fruit that we see in others. Fruit produces character. Character produces love. And love is the fragrance that covers over all.

My student's diagnosis of the fruit in my life?

1. Strength : Joy!
2. Weakness: Self-control

They spoke the truth to me today as well. I do lack self-control in some areas of my life. I also told them that sometimes I lack love...how hard it is to love those who are our enemies, those who are indifferent to us. I was honest. But I'm not sure they understood. But then, I guess that doesn't really matter. God will use it in his timing.

I'm also lacking peace right now. Not the kind of peace that comes from God. He has revealed a lot to me lately. I mean the kind of peace that comes with knowing that I'll have the energy to make it through this month. My plate is so full. Full of things that I want to be doing. I'm just not used to having a month where all but 4 evenings are booked already at the beginning of the month. (This is the opposite of life last year.)

I pray for energy, for self-control, and for boundless love.

This may be my last blog for awhile. I decided that instead of blogging during the break I give myself each day after school, I need to get back in touch with my long-distance friends. I have so many relationships in my life that are worth maintaining. I just need to make a little more effort. Oddly, this is something I was good at last year. This year? Not so much. It just sucks sometimes to have so many people that I love in so many random corners of the Earth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home