Somewhere In Between

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Mountain Girl At Last?!?

I decided to do what I can do to get back into my habit of writing. Not because there is a legion of people out there waiting to read this. I've only told a dozen friends about my blog and most of them are not bloggers. I write because I can. And because, at least for awhile, it will be a priority.

After an evening of shopping for snowgear with David and Tiffany last night, we spent the day snowshoeing with some other friends and new acquantances from our church. I now feel like a mountain girl at last! These are the months of the year that I love being in Colorado and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. In the past week and a half I have dropped a small fortune on snowboarding pants, hiking boots, a fuzzy winter hat, warm wool socks, ski goggles, and my personal favorite my new plum colored polarized shades. I am also now officially a member of REI. I had to drop $15 for this priviledge, but I've heard they treat customers who are members exceptionally well and give good discounts. We'll see if that comes in handy. So far I have no complaints about my purchases.

The trip was good. We went up to Berthoud Pass and almost climbed up to the tree line. It was warm, 50+ degrees in Denver. Not sure how much cooler it was up there. It was beautiful! My hands got a little cold, but other than that it was a great time. I'm looking forward to waking up tomorrow with pain in my calves and rear end. Great workout. Maybe I should invest in some snowshoes and go more often. I love being in the mountains.

After the descent on the pass we went to Beau Jo's which I personally believe to be the best pizza place in Colorado. It has this amazingly thick wheat crust that you dip honey onto like a dessert. It may not sound promising, but I think it would be entirely worth at trip to Colorado to try out. Carl joined us for the ride back. Crazy Carl, interesting fellow yet oddly a good friend. We talked about differences in the Presbytarian church while David and I sang and harmonized to The Fray's entire album. I absolutely LOVE this group. Give them a listen. They are like Switchfoot in the sense that they are a Christian band out there on secular radio. Only they is still mostly in Denver. I don't think it will be long until they are all over the country.

I'm watching part of the Bronco's game tonight while I do some grading. Trying to find this perfect balance between the people I love to spend time with and my work life. Hopefully I get enough finished tonight so Tiffany and I can go snowboarding on Monday. Yes, me, snowboarding. And yes, this would be a first. I don't know anything about snowboarding but it has always intrigued me. I think it would be a lot of fun.

Until Later, my friends.

Love,

Julie