Somewhere In Between

Monday, March 06, 2006

A Super*Star Teacher Appreciation Week!

It is teacher appreciation week and already I feel appreciated (and maybe a little spoiled too!). The whole school is decked up like we are at the academy awards. There is a red carpet outside my classroom door and a star-studded walk down the hallway. The lunchroom looks amazing and I get a whole hour away from the classroom for lunch tomorrow and special treats throughout the week.

I received my first trophy today. It was the "Shining Star" award. The moms on support staff really put on a show this morning. There was an awards ceremony with the kids present. My room mom wrote up this poem about me, which was really touching. I also got a book made up of writings from each of my students. Each student had to write three words that best describe me (ranging from happy, to encouraging, to Iowa, chocolate, coffee, and being radom among others). They also wrote a paragraph about what they like best about me and what makes me different from other teachers. It is something I'll keep forever and probably look at as an old, gray-haired lady at the end of my life, remembering these kids, wondering where they are at, hoping that I made a difference.

I want to remember this feeling...being affirmed and appreciated. So often teaching can be a thankless job. But it is something I love dearly. I never thought I'd be a teacher and I can't believe that I enjoy it this much!