Somewhere In Between

Friday, March 31, 2006

Lost in a Sea of Familiarity

I miss Iowa when life was in Iowa.

I'm at Dordt right now. No surprise to most anyone. I come back here at least once each time I am home. Today I came to get some transcripts. Now I am at the library checking my email and maybe getting that resume together. (I had technical difficulties a few days ago.) I also need to spend some time reviewing Kindergarten curriculum at the LRC. Yes, I am applying for a Kindergarten job. A stretch, to say the least.

Last year I spent my entire Spring Break at Dordt. Hung out at the coffee shop a lot and just walking around I managed to run into many old friends. This year, I feel alone being here. I only recognize a few faces. It is almost like I am a ghost in what used to be a sea of familiarity.

I discover something new about myself each time I come home to Iowa. What I am discovering today is hard to swallow. Iowa will never feel quite like home again. It is as though I left not two years ago, but six.